This page lists testimonials from retreat guests. Testimonials are listed after they’ve appeared on the blog, which often takes six months or more after the previous retreat. Testimonials:
- October 2015 guests: coming soon
- May 2015 guests:
- David Benson, Duluth, Minnesota
- Anne Marie, southeastern Michigan
- Louise Quick of Westfield, New York
- Carmen Yiamouyiannis of Connecticut
- Marcelo Freitas of Brazil
- Jeff Nobbs of Houston, Texas
- Christopher Resig
- S.R. of Liverpool, NY
- Aidan Waine of Redmond, Washington
- Jen Frazier of Fairfax, Virginia
- Renee X Chen of Shanghai, China
- October 2014 guests:
- Melanie Mullins
- Joseph N., Houston, Texas
- Cyndi Dorsett, Palestine, Texas
- Erin Seaver, Washington, DC
- Donna Laurie, Massachusetts
- Tim Terlegard, Sweden
- Steve Hillbrand, Minnesota
- Ole Morten Grodas, Trondheim, Norway
- Sue R., Liverpool, NY
- Jimmy Moore
- May 2014 guests:
- 2013 “Pilot Retreat” guests:
October 2015 testimonials are coming soon.
- “I’ve been having a great time. It’s been relaxing and a nice mix of activities, we’ve been busy, I kind of lost track of the days and I feel great.”
- “The best part has been the science classes. Even though I read the book and thought and studied about this for a while, it really has made things make much more sense for me and given me a good basis for continuing on.”
- “I love the beach, it’s a fabulous beach, I could just walk up and down for a long time… Really nice place to stay.”
- “I’m really committed to moving forward and keeping things going the way they’ve been going at the retreat…. A big benefit has been learning what it will take. When you try it and see how it goes, you both see ‘oh, that’s how it’s done’ and also that ‘oh I can do this, it’s not as difficult as it may have seemed when I read about it.’”
- “The main improvement that I’ve noticed [at the retreat] is that I feel really good. I feel great right now. I’ve had other noticeable improvements but I feel great.”
- “It’s been a great experience.”
- “What I wanted to get from the retreat is the immersion that is part of a week-long experience.”
- “I like hearing the ocean at night … I like being by the ocean.”
- “Because it’s full immersion there’s a lot of information. I do like having access to Paul and Shou-Ching.”
- “[The setting] is stunning.”
- “The food’s stunning too. It’s really good. It’s delicious.”
- “[The staff is] very talented and accessible.”
- “I’m definitely picking up a lot of useful skills.”
- “A lot of really, really good information and techniques that I haven’t heard before.”
- “[Paul] has this little sense of humor that you have to tune into.”
- “[Paul] makes [the science] accessible to me.”
- “[I recommend the retreat to] anyone that’s looking for a holistic approach to health…. It’s a very comprehensive and very holistic approach to our health from a scientific perspective.”
- “[Paul] explains the why.”
- “It’s not just dietary at all, it’s really quite comprehensive and very holistic. And it doesn’t even exclude medicine or antibiotics as necessary; it’s not to the exclusion … of western medicine … but with a foundation of dietary and lifestyle elements.”
- “There’s a lot of flexibility. There are guidelines but Paul’s not very rigid. There’s flexibility to make this program work for your life.”
- “I came because my daughter came last fall and when she talked about it it sounded like something I’d like to do.”
- “I love the exercise and I love the cooking classes.”
- “I think the food is very nice.”
- “I don’t know if in five days I can say my health improved but it definitely did not go backwards.”
- “I would encourage people [to come].”
- “I’m a professor and I teach biology and nutrition and I liked the way he presented his material and the data using scientific refereed peer-reviewed journals.”
- “I’m developing a wellness class at my college … Everything I’m doing here is something I would incorporate in a wellness class. I basically came here just to learn more.”
- “I’ve been thrilled with all the activities they have here.”
- “I was a little worried that I’d read it all and it would be boring but it’s not at all.”
- “I really enjoyed the lectures and I really enjoyed the cooking classes … there are so many things I learned here.”
- “The houses are beautiful. … It’s great, it’s a beautiful location.”
- “It’s been a lot of fun.”
- “My nutrition course this year is using Paul’s book in addition to a textbook and the students love it.”
- “Come and expect to have a good time and eat some great food…. The food is so fantastic so maybe don’t expect to lose weight but just learn and enjoy yourself.”
- “Very much … I am enjoying the retreat and the people here. Fantastic.”
- “I’m learning a lot, not only from Paul and Shou-Ching but from the other guys as well.”
- “The houses are wonderful … These beach houses are fantastic, very natural sunlight coming from the windows, perfect insulation, the pools and the hot tubs, everything you could want to relax.”
- “Cooking classes for me are interesting.”
- “[Jae] is a very nice guy.”
- “Paul is an authentic person, he’s not trying to sell you anything…. He’s not trying to convince you of anything else besides being healthy, he’s very sincere and a very easygoing person.”
- “Dinner is the best part in the retreat and the food is delicious.”
- “I would recommend if you have at least one week vacation, I would spend this time here with Paul, Shou-Ching, and the rest of the staff. Wonderful people.”
- “Read Paul’s book, loved it … Perfect Health Diet was the first book I read where I put it down and said, ‘yes, this is it!’ Everythign was backed up by scientific literature and made perfect sense…. I saw the health retreat and as soon as I saw it said, ‘I got to go to this.’”
- “I’ve been enjoying myself a lot. Perfect location, it’s been perfect weather apart from one rainy day, all the people here are really great, learning a lot, and it’s a good mix of kind of the basics helping with the foundations, and the nitty gritty of the science.”
- “[Science classes] are my favorite part. When the science classes end I’m always upset.”
- “I really appreciate that Paul takes the time to explain why all of his advice makes sense.”
- “[Food is] my second favorite part after the science classes. Food is really great.”
- “[Exercise classes] are good… We’ve had a good mix of classes … All the trainers seem to pick exercises where for the people who are in good shape they’re still very strenuous and they get you in good shape, for the people who are not in good shape they still allow you to actually do those exercises and not risk injury.”
- “[The setting] really forces you to get your 7 to 10 thousand steps a day walking from house to house, and sunlight walking from house to house. It’s sort of like a healthy real world…. The setting’s perfect.”
- “I also overpacked. I’m just wearing basketball shorts every day.… You can dress casually thoughout the day.”
- “You see Shou-Ching and Paul and the trainers around all the time, there’s plenty of time to get your questions answered.”
- “One of my biggest takeaways is how important circadian rhythm entrainment is.”
- “I think it paid for itself in the first day. You learn one really important thing, whether that’s how to talk to your doctor, how to do circadian rhythm entrainment right, what to eat what not to eat, nutrition, what to cook, you know you learn one meal that becomes a go-to meal for you and it pays for itself because you can use it for the rest of your life and what’s more important than your health.”
- “[I’m] having a great time…. Just learning so much.”
- “[The setting] couldn’t be better. We live in upstate New York and less than two weeks ago we had two feet of snow so in North Carolina it’s a wonderful thing, it’s a great thing.”
- “I’d say [the best part of the retreat] has been a combination of the science classes and the cooking instruction.”
- “For me what has been so helpful is to see how one’s health is so inter-related with every part of your life. It’s not just your diet, it’s not how much exercise you get, it’s how everything fits together, how you live your life, everything related to how you work day in and day out, how you exercise, how you relax, how you eat the food, it all fits together.”
- “[Food] has been great. Just having the variety of different types of food, different ways of cooking. I’ve learned things that I had no idea how to do before.”
- “I just love the way Paul goes through things and how he talks about all the different subject matter and how all of his work is attributed or referenced. His information is not conjecture, it is not his own thought, he’s pulling his information from the scientific community … I really place a lot of value on that, it’s really good.”
- “[Exercise classes have] been helping me understand that I need to exercise regularly.”
- “I’ve been able to touch my toes that I hadn’t been able to do in decades. So it’s like a marvelous thing.”
- “Coming to a deeper appreciation of knowing that I need to live a better and more balanced life. Just knowing all the different facets of my life, my diet, my exercise, my work life, my personal life, my down time, recreation time, it all plays a part in a healthy life, and just the importance of keeping all those in balance.”
- “Absolutely [come to the retreat], I would just recommend don’t hesitate. If you have an interest in living a healthy life, just sign up…. Don’t hesitate, if you have a desire for a healthier life, sign up, you’ll have the time of your life, and you’ll learn a boatload of stuff, don’t worry.”
- “I just enjoyed [the October 2014 retreat] so much and enjoyed meeting the people, and for me that’s a big part of the experience because we learn from each other. I’m the type of person that likes to meet people and I like to share what I’ve learned and there was an open opportunity [to come back as staff], and I took it.”
- “Since coming to the retreat I was able to also implement this with my husband so it’s been really great to watch his health gradually start to improve…. He does seem to be doing better since following this…. He’s lost a little weight, he’s not as tired in the evening as he used to be.”
- “I think [my mom] kind of did [PHD] before coming here …Maybe that’s part of why she’s been healthy all these years, she was naturally drawn to all these principles of balancing meals.”
- “I’ve been trying to come to the retreat for a year and a half now … I actually read the first book
- “[The retreat’s] been fabulous, yeah, really good.”
- “The houses and the sea and the weather and the sound and everything has all exceeded our expectation.”
- “[The best part of the retreat] is access to Paul.”
- “Paul is very humorous and very patient…. A real boffin.”
- [The food] has been fabulous.”
- “I was a little bit worried tell you the truth the idea that you don’t eat for 16 hours a day. That seemed to be a bit of impediment, it’s something I never managed to achieve at home, I’ve read about how good intermittent fasting is meant to be but done it only when I had a bad hangover, frankly, previously. So I wasn’t sure how it was going to go, but I’m eating a lot, I’m eating a lot at lunch time and a lot at dinner time, but having said that I know that I’ve taken my belt in a notch, one inch, without any extremes of hunger.”
- “Most of the people are here to learn…. Everybody’s very very open, friendly. It’s been very gratifying.”
- “I’ve taken [exercise classes] easy and there’s been no pressure to take it [harder] … I must say over four or five days of exercising I can do more than I could on Monday.”
- “Absolutely yeah [I’d recommend the retreat] … I would love for all my family to come, my immediate and extended family…. I’m expecting to proselytize a little.”
- “Do it.”
- “When I read up on this I realized it was the kind of best of everything put together in one place, plus I love the beach, plus I was due for a vacation, so it just seemed like the perfect timing of all the things that I needed in my life right now.”
- “It’s been really nice being beachfront and seeing the dolphins and learning a whole lot, it’s been great.”
- “I’ve been fascinated by all the science…. That’s one of the things that excited me the most about this.”
- “What I loved about the cooking classes was the idea of intuitive cooking and looking at what you have and coming up with something, I love the she was able to make substitutions on the fly…. So the cooking classes were really valuable for me.”
- “Some of [the exercise classes] I really have enjoyed and what I’ve learned is that there are certain types of exercise that I can do and that I can stick with, and types that I say, OK, I’m not really into that and I don’t think that I could stick with it if I did that. I actually did like that we learned a wide variety of exercises so that I know what I’m capable of doing and what I can commit to doing when I get home. In that respect I learned a lot about myself and what I think I can do.
- “[My favorite part of the retreat was] probably all the science, just learning so much. Well really just the learning in general. The cooking classes has been a lot of good information for me…. Talking to Paul about the specifics of all the things I’m dealing with …. And looking at everything very holistically, even though he can get really specific he can back up and look at the big picture, I’ve been really enjoying that.”
- “This [setting] is the bomb, this is great.”
- “[The food] is really good.”
- “I wish we had another week so that I could get to know people better. But yeah, we’re having a good time.”
- “I’ve really gotten into the circadian stuff and am really enjoying my sleep.”
- “I definitely will take [what I learned] home …. I’m really excited to get home and see what I can implement.”
- “Paul actually thinks I’m not eating enough…. He encouraged me to eat more.”
- “Everything is ready for everybody here…. I would maybe warn the introverts that there’s a lot of activity…. It’s all very exciting and it’s fun but I have to go back and recharge.”
- “Absolutely [I’ve enjoyed the retreat]. I live in China, Shanghai, so coming to North Carolina for a getaway is just fantastic. On top of that it’s been so nice not having to worry about food and just knowing that good food is going to be served all the time. The people here have been fantastic as well … It’s been really fun.”
- “Everyone’s super nice.”
- “I’ve been really enjoying the science classes which is surprising because I’m not really science minded…. Paul is so great at explaining these complex concepts in simpler terms.”
- “[Exercise classes] have been really fun…. Everything that I’ve learned about exercise has been turned around.”
- “Love [the setting]…. It’s very very peaceful here.”
- “[Paul] is funny. But he knows his ****…. He knows his stuff and he’s extremely patient.”
- “Even for people who might not be as interested in health or even for people who might already be very healthy it’s a great getaway … but for anyone who is interested in health I really like the advice that Paul gives…. It makes a lot of sense.”
- “The lab results that I had gotten from my doctors they were kind of like ‘everything looks fine, no big deal,’ but then I had Paul take a look at it and he was like, ‘yeah, within this range for other people it might be normal but for you he basically said you have iron deficiency anemia’ and I was like, ‘you know what, I think I do, because I feel fatigued all the time and my nails have been brittle’ and he provided very detailed and specific steps for how to take care of that.”
- “I would recommend [the retreat], highly recommend it to anyone.”
Melanie wrote at the end of the retreat:
If this was simply a seaside vacation it would be well worth the price, but it also gives you the ability to become healthy again, no matter how severe your health problems, or how long you have been suffering from them. That is priceless.
There is a saying that “not all doctors are healers, and not all healers are doctors.” I think anyone who has been on this retreat will agree that our friend Paul is a healer in the true sense. It is going to be difficult for me to go home to my situation and do everything I now know I need to do to get healthy again, but I am going to do it.
In August 2015, ten months after the retreat, I asked Melanie for an update. She wrote:
Sadly it turned out I was only able to do the diet off and on since coming home. My main difficulty has been in generating the extra effort it takes to care for myself while also being the caregiver for my grandfather, who has dementia and terminal cancer.
Recently my mom and I have been trying very hard again at the diet part of it, and have been successful for a full month now. When we are able to maintain the diet, we do notice a great improvement in mental fog, and we visibly lose inflammation in our faces (and in Mom’s ankles). My skin also clears up on PHD, and my mom has less digestive trouble, which I think is a sign that it could help cure her GERD over time. I am really happy with my brain function right now, I feel like my ADD symptoms are vastly improved, and I am dealing with stress much better lately. Remember the awful sciatic pain I had during the retreat? That pain is gone after doing PHD this past month. That is motivation to keep going for sure!
I have not lost weight yet, which is my own fault, but the longer I can keep doing PHD, the better my quality of life becomes, which is equally important.
- “I thought it was fabulous. I thought everything about it was just great.”
- “The setting was fabulous, it was just a serene wonderful location, it was natural, it was really supportive of the whole concept of the retreat.”
- “It was very educational, I didn’t realize I was going to come away with so much fundamental knowledge.”
- “I was actually thrilled with everything about it.”
- “Food was outstanding. I love the chef, Chris was a great guy…. Personally I thought it was one of the best parts of the retreat.”
- “[The exercise program] was one of the things I was very interested in…. I was very interested to learn how there’s .. the aspect of exercise that supports your health and there’s fitness. That was really interesting to me.”
- “I enjoyed [the science classes], I thought they were great. I think one of the aspects of the retreat that makes it much more likely that a person, in my case me, would continue with it is that I understand the fundamentals…. We got to understand the basis of why we’re doing X, Y, and Z.”
- “It was exciting to see how everyone encouraged everyone else at the retreat.”
- “I would highly recommend [the retreat]…. I enjoyed it all, it was all very rewarding. I thought it was great.”
- “I’m having such a good time I don’t want to leave.”
- “The food is delicious, and it’s easy to prepare…. I’m never hungry, the staff has been wonderful, they’re very helpful, very patient.”
- “This place is gorgeous.… You couldn’t have asked for a better setting…. The setting is peaceful. It’s conducive to this whole diet and regime. No stress.”
- “I’ve really enjoyed it.”
- “I’ve been trying to lose weight all my life…. With this one, I was going to approach it in a different way, for my health, not just for weight loss. But I have found my clothes are fitting a little looser…. I’m not hungry. We have the fast. After our evening meal, we fast for 16 hours. I wake up, I’m never hungry…. I don’t eat as much, and yet I’m full. That whole concept there is worth being here.”
- “I’m tired of my doctors telling me I’m going to get these health problems…. I want to get better and enjoy my old age. I retired to have fun, not to be under a doctor’s care.”
- “Paul is very helpful with the classes, and informative.”
- “Cooking classes were very good…. I may never go out to eat again…. The food was phenomenal, and it’s not anything that anybody couldn’t do.”
- “I don’t feel like I’m dieting, I don’t feel like I’m eating health food, but I am.”
- “I would definitely recommend the retreat to anybody interested in better health and losing weight…. Better health especially, because that’s more important than anything.”
- “I wasn’t having the success I wanted on the Paleo Diet and started reading [Paul’s] book and things really resonated with me so I actually reached out to Paul and talked about … going beyond diet and implementing a lifestyle in terms of exercise and sleep and go beyond foods themselves. That’s really what brought me to the Perfect Health Retreat.”
- “The Perfect Health Retreat far exceeded my expectations. It’s been a really wonderful experience.”
- “The food stands out … the Perfect Health Diet supports very flavorful and varied real foods and the chefs just did a phenomenol job. We were licking our fingers after every meal.”
- “The structure of the retreat is great in that it supports learning, healing, and relaxation”
- “The staff went above and beyond”
- “Even in just the short span of a week I found some great improvements. … Even in just a week I’ve found improvement in my sleep, I had more energy, was less lethargic in the morning, general mood improved, and my anxiety dropped pretty significantly.”
- “I do feel pretty prepared to translate the things I’ve learned and implement a lot of the lessons I’ve learned in this retreat back home.”
- “Health coaching was great. I think I have spent more time with Paul talking about my health than I probably have with any doctor to date in my life, which is kind of sad but a great opportunity, and Paul’s also spent more time explaining things to me than most of my doctors have…. I appreciate the support.”
- “The cooking classes were one of my favorite parts of the retreat.”
- “I’m not sure if you could find a better setting for health promoting, peaceful relaxation…. Great location.”
- “I would absolutely recommend this retreat to pretty much anyone. I don’t think it needs to be just for folks who have health challenges.”
- “I probably will try to drag my mom here.”
- “I enjoyed the retreat very, very much.”
- “I am a gym owner and a personal trainer, and I work with a lot of people I want to help, and I want to give them the right information…. I thought this is something that would be beneficial to my clients and also to me and my family.”
- “I am extremely happy that I have come. The people – amazing. Paul, the lectures – terrific, I’ve learned a lot. The setting is beautiful, the food – delicious. Well worth every penny.”
- “I’m leaving tomorrow. I’ve only signed up for a week, but I don’t know if my plane is going to be able to go with me on it. I don’t know, I might have to stay, that’s how much I’ve enjoyed it.”
- “I really enjoyed the lectures. I liked the science behind the meal planning, the reason why we’re eating the way that we are…. I like to know the how and why, and you explained it. It really showed that you did a lot of research.”
- “I was totally impressed the first day.”
- “We did the fitness. I’m pretty well versed in fitness … That wasn’t my main reason for coming, but definitely a lot of the people here needed to learn about fitness.”
- “All the components, the circadian rhythms, the fitness, the food, it all goes together. I’m very excited about sharing this with my family.”
- “Everybody was very supportive. Great people, great people.”
- “Anybody. Everybody [should come to the retreat].”
- “Whether you’re healthy or not, it doesn’t matter. It’s about getting the most of your life…. I would recommend [the retreat] to anybody… It’s a wealth of knowledge that you’re giving us to enjoy a happy life.”
- “It’s well worth it. You’re investing in your life. What’s the sense of having money and beautiful cars and beautiful houses if you don’t have your health. People invest in their finances … I think it’s so important to invest in your health.”
- “You really have helped myself and the people in my group.”
- “I enjoyed the retreat very much, every aspect of it. I very much enjoyed the science classes, and the exercise, and the cooking classes, and the food. I liked everything.”
- “I like the setting very much. We don’t have these beaches in Sweden. It’s very warm, it’s very nice.”
- “It’s been two great weeks.”
- “The retreat has everything you need to get a healthy life…. You get well educated to continue this lifestyle at home.”
- “It shouldn’t be too difficult to persuade someone to come here…. I would recommend this to anyone. Most people have some health issues that should be relatively easy to correct.”
- “I’d like to say thank you for providing this opportunity, it was really nice.”
- “Everybody here has been really friendly, very helpful, did everything to make me feel comfortable and welcome.”
- “My purpose was to get the whole dimension of the diet and the lifestyle…. I wanted to see how it would feel to implement everything.”
- “This couple weeks kind of gave me a good feeling for what it would be like.”
- “I usually eat a lot, and I found that by the end of the first week and into the second week that one plate of food was all I really felt like eating. It filled me up. Very different than what I’m used to.”
- “Cravings for alcohol kind of go with me, along with cravings for sweets and coffee, I’m constantly adjusting my mood with food. It was nice to have the wine in the evening and no problems staying within the two glasses, a couple of nights one glass. Even party night tonight I’ll probably have two glasses because that seems to be sufficient for me.”
- “The other nice thing about the retreat for me was feeling physically stronger. Doing the weight training and the exercises, you start to realize, it doesn’t take that much. The training on the importance of consistency really rang home to me… Just the idea that you can do the 15 minutes a couple times a day and get the health benefits was nice for me to realize and I can imaging implementing it.”
- “All the variety, looking at the barefoot running, looking at the heart rhythm training, those were all very interesting to me. I’d been exposed to them all before but it never really clicked in the same way as when you explained it.”
- “I particularly liked the science classes. Looked forward to them every day.”
- “Food was great. That was one of my big problems with implementing this diet…. I’d soon get bored with [meat and potatoes]. I didn’t really have the variety in my diet, didn’t really know how to make it. I have some new ideas now about doing it.”
- “The more interesting conversation will be to talk to us a year from now…. Has it turned around some of the more chronic health issues that all of us seem to have?”
- “I appreciate the idea that it’s not just one part, you do the whole thing.”
- “I would heartily recommend the retreat to strangers…. I think everybody got something out of it.”
- “I think the setting has been ideal for me. It’s been sunny, there’s a beach to walk on. I like a little bit of alone processing time, it’s very easy to walk down the beach and meander alone. That was wonderful. I really haven’t swam in the ocean hardly at all before, this was kind of exciting to be able to do that. The salt water pools right outside here were really nice. I never liked pools because I don’t like chlorine, and these were really nice for swimming and loosening up.”
- “I don’t know if you can get a better setting.”
- “I’m very happy I came. Very successful. I look at it as one of those pivotal points in my life. That’s my feeling right now…. It really feels like something big has shifted.”
- “I’m very glad I came. I learned some life habits and tips and tricks on these 14 days that I’ve not learned in like 4 years of reading blogs and books. It’s been really valuable.”
- “I’ve been having stomach problems for two years and just being here for 14 days has improved them…. I’ve also after having health coaching with Paul I’ve gotten a strategy for how I can improve it when I get back home and I’m really looking forward toimplementing this strategy.”
- “Heath coaching is maybe the most valuable part of the retreat for me – being able to ask Paul about my problems and his advice about them.”
- “Paul has been available throughout the two weeks and I’ve been able to ask him about anything all the time. He’s been very helpful.”
- “I like the concept that you can come here and everything’s optimized. When you read the blogs it’s hard to pick up on everything and fit it together into a complete lifestyle.”
- “I think the setting of the Perfect Health Retreat is perfect. It’s sunny, it’s by the beach, it’s warm, but it’s not too warm. I’m from Norway and I think it’s perfect. In the night it’s cool enough that you can sleep easily.… It’s a quiet beach and that’s also very nice.”
- “The science classes are another favorite of mine. I’ve been reading the Paleo books and blogs and trying to understand what’s needed to be done for good health. Attending the science classes at this retreat has improved my knowledge of what constitutes really good habits and healthy habits. I’ve learned important things that I think will really improve my health long term.”
- “I think the exercise classes have been very good.”
- “My favorite exercise class was the running exercises where Paul was teaching us running techniques…. That’s very hard to do on your own because you’re not aware of how you’re running and how it’s wrong.”
- “I really liked the cooking classes as well. What I liked the most is that you can acquire skills that are also very hard to acquire just from reading or watching Youtube movies.”
- “The food has been delicious, just as expected. I’ve been trying to eat the Perfect Health Diet for a long time, and I know it’s really good, but having a real chef make the food just makes it even better.”
- “I think the retreat is something everyone will benefit from. Just to set aside one week, or 14 days, to just focus on my health has been really, really good…. For me it’s been very helpful to be here.”
- “I highly recommend the retreat to anyone. I think everyone would benefit.”
- “It was very helpful to think that someone could show me what it was that I needed to do. … I thought maybe this is going to help, I hope this is going to help. So I chose to come. And I am so glad I did. It was so helpful. I got everything I needed and more.”
- “I really appreciated hearing the science behind it … It all made a lot of sense.”
- “We exercised three times a day. I never in a million years thought I was going to be able to exercise again, much less exercise three times a day. And I was doing things I didn’t think I could do.”
- “Everybody was so compassionate and patient and helpful with me.”
- “I appreciate this whole week because now I have hope.”
- “The cooking classes were very enjoyable.”
- “The number one thing for me was to be able to exercise and to do it without pain…. I had never dreamt of running.… I actually went out again today on my own and ran. I’m so tickled, I’m so tickled. I can’t wait to go out and do more.”
- “I would definitely recommend the retreat to other people…. Everybody is so helpful, all the staff, Paul. Compassionate, caring, and it’s very personalized … Almost all of us had our own laundry list of problems, and we all got personalized help, exactly what we needed. That’s just so helpful, you can’t get that kind of help in a medical office.”
- “I would strongly recommend it.”
- “We had such a great time”
- “It was such an amazing time”
- “The camaraderie among the attendees was better than I have seen with any other group”
- “I enjoyed the food better than anything … It surprised me that it was not only tasty, delicious, and nourishing which I expected it all to be but I wasn’t quite as hungry as I thought I’d be eating more carbohydrates than I’m used to.”
- “This setting is absolutely spectacular.”
- “I’ve considered myself a pretty good exerciser … but you challenged me…. I learned quite a bit.”
- “I was very pleased [with the science classes]…. I really hope you pack this place out … The circadian rhythm stuff dude that is the best stuff you’ve done … that has helped my sleep and helped me get back on track with that more than anything.”
- “I actually was surprised [by how beneficial the health coaching was] … You provided information that no doctor ever has.”
- “This would shock a lot of people but I would absolutely recommend the retreat because I think if you’re interested in your health, you deserve to know all the evidence…. I think you owe it to yourself to give PHD a chance, learn about it, see if it works for you, and give it a go.”
- “Very glad I did it, and highly, highly recommend it for anyone else”
Joy gave us both a video and a written testimonial. Joy’s video:
- “Oh my gosh. The food … the food is amazing. It’s some of the most delicious food I’ve ever eaten in my life.”
- “I have to say that for a lot of my life I’ve had a love-hate relationship with food because the things that I really loved were not necessarily healthy for me. I grew up in the South where there was a lot of baked goods and cakes…. That was what eating was. To be here and to have these fresh ingredients cooked in very imaginative ways…. On a scale of 1 to 10 the food was a 10.”
- “We have been staying in one of the most beautiful homes right on the beach … huge porch looking out over the Atlantic. And it’s been a dream, literally it’s been a dream to be here.”
- “As the days have progressed I’ve felt better and better every day. I wake up in the morning very alert, just ready, energized and ready to take on the day…. The thing I’ve felt the most since I’ve been here is just being so clear-headed.”
- “I’m going to make everything that we made. Every day I would think, ‘Oh this is the best dish that we’re gonna have,’ and then I would think, ‘Nope, today is the best dish.'”
- “It has been a wonderful combination of healthy living, learning how to be as healthy as I can, eating great food, meeting really amazing people, and spending time every day at the beach, what more could you want? A little wine at dinner. It’s just been the best.”
- “I would recommend the retreat not just without hesitation, but with great enthusiasm.”
- “It has been two of the most important weeks of my life. I feel like I have the tools and the motivation and the information to really make the most of the rest of my life.”
If you desire …
- to understand the science of good health…
- to learn the practical steps to make it happen in your daily life…
- to prepare delicious food that promotes your optimal health…
- to develop a like-minded community to support you in your journey…
- while spending two-weeks in a beautiful home on one of the most magnificent beaches in the US…
then the Perfect Health Retreat is for you!
I chose to attend the Retreat as a 60th birthday gift to myself – to optimize ‘whatever years I have left’. I left the Retreat convinced that in many ways my life is just beginning. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND making this investment in your life!!
Even though I have read the PHD book, I have found the Perfect Health Retreat to be an invaluable lesson. Between the one-on-one health sessions, cooking classes, and personal training, I have been able to identify many changes that I can make regarding my personal diet, exercise and lifestyle.
The Jaminet’s are very knowledgeable regarding the person as a “whole” and deliver a clear understanding of a wealth of information.
I would recommend the Perfect Health Retreat to anyone who, like me, has tried multiple regimes for better health but has not yet achieved our desired health status. The retreat offers a full complement of all aspects of the Perfect Health Diet and lifestyle.
Thank you Paul and Shou-Ching for sharing and giving me hope.
PHD has now come alive after the 2014 Retreat at the fabulous NC beach. For two weeks we stayed in a beautiful spacious house with an unbelievable loving and sharing family of 15 attendees and 8 staff.
Paul and Shou-Ching taught us how to easily live PHD daily. Paul taught us the science behind why we need to be eating certain foods and taking recommended supplements. Shou-Ching taught us how to prepare many, many delicious recipes. Not only did she teach us but she let us actually have “Hands On” cooking classes every day. She was amazing and has the patience of an angel.
Paul and Shou-Ching were available every day to talk to us, answer question after question and participate in all our activities. They are so knowledgeable and are great fun to be with.
I had been eating PHD for some time but I was afraid to eat enough food for fear of gaining weight so consequently I was hungry all the time. At the retreat I learned how eating the right foods and enough of them would keep me satisfied and healthy until my first meal. And also that it was o.k. to eat more food in the 8 hour window. Boy was that great!! I didn’t gain an ounce and in fact my clothes were looser when I left. I will never starve myself again. Also my morning temperature was too low when I arrived but now it is very close to normal and I am feeling good and have a lot of energy.
The entire staff was available, helpful and took care of all our needs and wants. You can imagine what that was like for 15 people. They did it with patience, kindness and a smile. I am so enriched by every one that was there and I hope to attend another retreat in the future.
I left with an abundance of knowledge and feel I truly understand the rhythm of PHD life style; the food and meal timing, the physical fitness, the sunshine and temperature control and the glorious sleep.
Thank you to All!! Judy in Charlotte, NC
The PHD retreat was an intense period of learning, seeing healthy habits modeled, and practicing those habits. A year’s worth of appointments with holistic health practitioners would not have provided the learning and all-important practice that I got at the Retreat.
I would not have attempted the longer overnight fast at home, but at the retreat I successfully practiced the fast. Now I know I can do it!
The retreat reinforced the importance of consistent daily activity, and I had practice building the exercise habit with the daily exercise sessions. I learned about an appropriate level of exercise that can help increase my fitness but keep me healthy enough to exercise every day. Now I know I can do it!
Before the retreat, I was an inexperienced cook with little confidence. After seeing cooking demonstrations and enjoying the delicious meals that resulted, I am now confident that, given some practice and experience, I can plan and prepare the same delicious meals, no matter how busy my day is. Now I know I can do it!
The atmosphere at the Retreat was warm and supportive. Being surrounded by like-minded people reinforced my resolve to form new habits and retain them when I returned home. Now I know that if others can do it, I can too!
During the Retreat, I lost at least 5 pounds with a corresponding drop in body fat percent (relative to my scale at home). I noticed a significant improvement in a painful skin condition. Now I know that my body likes the changes I made at the retreat. One of the most important things I learned at the retreat is that I can trust my body’s wisdom about what I need to eat and how I need to move.
The Perfect Health Retreat program was “pilot tested” during a six month period from July 2013 through January 2014 at a property in Austin, Texas. Because the property was zoned for residential use, it could only accept lodgers for 30-day or longer stays. Thus, the “pilot” version of the Perfect Health Retreat was a 30-day program.
Over the “pilot” period, thirteen guests followed the 30 day program. All achieved health improvements. Most agreed to share their experiences. Here are their stories.
Here’s a picture of Rosie:
And here’s her summary of results (my emphasis):
The results I experienced from 26 days at the Perfect Health Retreat were nothing short of miraculous. I had been struggling with chronic fatigue for probably a decade or more. I’d been gaining 5-10 pounds a year and was up to 240 pounds at my heaviest. My sleep cycle was chaotic. I was tired so much of the time that when I did get a burst of energy (usually late at night) I’d often stay up all night at the computer to try to be productive. But then I’d sleep through the entire next day. And some days I’d force myself to function on only 2-3 hours of sleep. I was keeping myself going with Diet Coke, drinking up to 2 liters or more a day. I had been told by my doctor that I was pre-diabetic, my triglycerides and bad cholesterol were too high, my good cholesterol and Vitamin D were too low, and several hormones were out of whack.
In February I quit Diet Coke and cut wheat out of my diet, and the weight started coming off. But I was still feeling lethargic all the time. Then I found out about the PHD and started trying to implement it at home; and made the decision to go to the Perfect Health Retreat for the month of October. Within 3 days after arriving, I was going to bed by 11 or so and waking up at around 7:30 every morning, feeling well-rested, feeling like going out for a jog! (I’d always hated jogging before, but Paul, you inspired me and I’ve really enjoyed jogging in those Vibram Five Fingers shoes.) By the end of the month, my energy level throughout the day was back to about 80% of what it had been when I was at peak health in the past. I’d lost another 11 pounds, for a total of 30 since February. My triglycerides were back in the normal range and all my other biomarkers were moving in the right direction, or at least unchanged.
I’ve been able to keep up the healthy sleep habits since returning home, with the help of modified lighting and blue-blocking goggles. I’m still working on integrating everything I learned about healthy eating and exercise into my life. I no longer feel that it’s an uphill battle like it always used to be. I never had enough energy to get enough exercise or cook healthy meals for myself, but that is no longer the case. There’s certainly more work to do, but I am confident that with just a little tweaking here and there, I can continue the positive journey towards full health.
The Perfect Health Retreat was my 50th birthday present to myself, and it has turned out to be the best investment I’ve ever made in the rest of my life. I’ve heard the expression that “Life begins at 50.” Well, I would modify that slightly (since I have had a pretty great life in spite of my health concerns). I would say rather that for me, “Life begins again at 50.”
Rosie took some blood tests to get before-and-after lab values. Here is a comparative table:
At end of Retreat
|Fasting Glucose (mg/dl)||
|White Blood Cells (10^3/μL)||
|C-reactive protein (mg/L)||
|Vitamin D (ng/ml)||
|Total cholesterol (mg/dl)||
|LDL cholesterol (mg/dl)||
|HDL cholesterol (mg/dl)||
In summary – Rosie went from 20% of normal energy to 80%, fixed her sleep, lost 11 pounds and inches from her waist, greatly reduced markers of infection such as white blood cell count and C-reactive protein, normalized her TSH, reduced triglycerides, normalized vitamin D and LDL cholesterol, and reduced ALT and AST suggesting improved liver health.
Best of all, she feels well prepared to live a healthful lifestyle from now on, and can expect to see further significant health improvements.
My husband and I have just concluded a month long stay at the Perfect Health Retreat, which exceeded our expectations in every way and added years to our lives.
We began the Perfect Health Diet four months prior to attending the Retreat, beginning on July 1, 2013, and had already been experiencing amazing health benefits. But until coming to the Retreat, the only instruction I had in following the program was to go “by the book”–a wonderfully rich, informative, compelling book, indeed–but without the benefit of a community of other PHD program participants, experiences, and mentors to bring the program to life and make it second-nature. Now, I can’t imagine living any other way.
After a month of nutritious meals, great sleeping, and daily exercise, plus a stimulating educational program with world class scientist and eminently friendly and approachable Paul Jaminet, PhD, co-creator of the Perfect Health Diet, I feel ten years younger!
It was so easy to get into the “habit” of going outside each day for a jog, or to take in the sunshine for my requisite dose of vitamin D. I enjoyed learning the chef’s secrets and lessons for great PHD meals–including the world’s best bone broth and most nutritious fermented vegetables. We all learned the benefits of intermittent fasting (eating only between noon and 8 p.m.), and delicious morning coffee and broth made it easy.
The Perfect Health Diet is a lifestyle that can add years to one’s life. The Perfect Health Retreat teaches one exactly how to do this in a community where everyone is committed to doing the same thing.
A happy outcome of the diet for me, both before and during our stay at the Retreat, is that I now feel completely satisfied at mealtime, never get hungry before the next meal, but also never feel bloated, too full, or uncomfortable after eating. My body does a “happy dance” each day because it now gets exactly what and how much food it needs, and nothing harmful.
This next unexpected consequence took me completely by surprise. For years I had pain in my neck from what I believed was age-related osteoarthritis. After trying everything (massage, yoga, chiropractic adjustments–all of which provided only partial, temporary relief), I woke up one morning at the Retreat and realized my neck did not hurt any more and I had regained full range of motion. I thought about all the changes I had made in my diet and what might have been THE magic bullet for taking away my chronic inflammation and muscle stiffness, and I decided it didn’t matter because it worked! PHD teaches, and I am living proof, that with the right diet and lifestyle one need not be sick, or chronically inflamed or infected, particularly in later life, just because one is aging.
I am grateful beyond words for what PHD and the Perfect Health Retreat have done for me and my husband Herb, who will relate his own story. Thank you Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet!
If you are thinking about coming to a Retreat and not sure you can afford the financial or time commitment, think again: ask yourself “how can I afford NOT to come here?” This experience is an affordable vacation in its own right, but think of how much value you get for the money. Think of all the other ways you spend your time and money with no measurable benefit. To attend a Perfect Health Retreat is to give yourself a gift for a lifetime with continuing good health returns. Surely you and your loved-ones are worth that!
If you do come, know that like everything else in life, you get back what you give. Learning a new way of living and eating takes discipline, commitment and trust. The best advice I can offer someone just starting out is this: come with an open mind and an open heart, and be prepared to surrender your old habits and beliefs about what’s “bad” and what’s “good” to eat. Paul Jaminet’s fascinating classes will give you all the understanding you need to grasp the science of the PHD, and the pleasure of feeling great and living the fullest possible life will be your reward.
Herb Mandell, M.D., writes:
My goal in coming to the Perfect Health Retreat was to totally immerse myself in a culture of food, exercise, and circadian entrainment, with like-minded individuals, so that I might emerge with an integrated lifestyle and game plan to work with. Although I am still working on the circadian part, I have made some progress there, and am more than satisfied with my progress in all the other areas. I could not have predicted how helpful the staff, our talks with Dr. Jaminet, and the environment would prove to be. These are tremendously big-hearted people who shared their wealth of knowledge, their Retreat, and their practical experience with us on so many levels. I am also eternally grateful to my lovely wife and lifetime partner, Peggy, who accompanied me on this journey with her quick wit, her deeply reflective insights, and her truly indomitable spirit. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities for exercise here, and personally mastered the Primal 7, the bicycle course at the Velopark, and even went on to successfully complete a ten-segment zip line course on a weekend jaunt to nearby Wimberley.
The information that I have absorbed has been nothing short of a huge paradigm shift for me. As a retired physician and medical director of a national children’s charity, I can honestly say that I have never so clearly comprehended the importance and role of diet, exercise, and other lifestyle elements in shaping one’s personal health status. While here I was able to achieve my goal of getting off my protein pump inhibitor medication, which I had taken for over seven years with very mixed results. While on the Perfect Health Diet, my C-Reactive Protein plunged from 35 to 7, and I was able to discontinue my statin medication as well. I have also made significant progress in addressing a chronic fungal infection while being able to cut back on medication for that also.
The other guests here were very interesting folks, and I am sure we will remain friends, at least online, and hopefully again in person.
I can honestly say I feel several years younger, although I celebrated my 64th birthday while at the Retreat.
I would urge anyone who is learning the PHD diet and philosophy to come to the Retreat for the total experience. You cannot put a price tag on your life, your health, or your ability to make the most of both.
Jorjan Cullender Hendrix was the first of our beta participants; she began the program in April 2013 even before I had prepared educational materials. Jorjan writes:
I feel 1000% better than I felt 75 days ago.
I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome in the fall of 2001. I stayed active and continued to work; however, many nights I would cry myself to sleep in silence and without the ability to make tears. I took solace in Coca Colas and sugary and salty snacks which made me gain 45 lbs. No one in my family knew of my condition until further complications and problems arose. I developed many food allergies, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and bone spurs in my feet, fingers, and neck. I became extremely sensitive to touch and had extremely dry eyes and mouth.
Over the last three years I lost 35 lbs by cutting back on snacks and trying to always eat before 6 pm. However, this had little to no effect on how I felt physically and emotionally. I looked better but still felt like a prisoner to my syndrome. Every day I worried whether I would make it to the next day. Stress took a toll: higher blood pressure, less sleep, and a feeling of total hopelessness.
I needed a cane most days to get around due to a persistent injury to my hip and knee. I was scheduled to have both replaced in January of 2011. However, I lost my Mom, and then when my job status changed I lost my health insurance, so the surgeries were postponed. A true blessing in disguise, as I now see no need for either after being on the Perfect Health Diet.
My blood pressure was always around 154/140 and I was extremely sleep deprived due to stress and constant pain. I could not endure being outside if it was warmer than 8o degrees Fahrenheit. Sometimes just the touch of water from a shower could send me up the wall with sensitivity.
My good friend from college Damon Young invited me to attend the Paleo FX conference with he and his wife in Austin. Dr. Paul Jaminet was staying at their bed and breakfast. I found myself getting to know him and about his and his wife’s self discovery and writing of the Perfect Health Diet. I discovered I might benefit from his Perfect Health Diet. I started PHD on April 1st, supported by Damon and his wife Joyce at Albert Oaks Austin.
I was apprehensive about the intermittent fasting, but after the first few days it was very easy. Giving up the cokes was the hardest part. I still will cheat occasionally and have one, but I’ve noticed I feel aches afterwards.
I started spending more time outdoors and found that working outdoors and staying very active elevated my mood. My energy level has usually been good but I would often after a 10 hour work day crash at 6 pm. Then on the weekends I would stay in bed all weekend. Today, after 75 days on PHD, I can easily do a 10-12 hour work day 7 days a week. My energy level has risen through the roof. I work outdoors 5-6 hours a day and some of that during the heat of the day. For over 10 years I have not been able to endure temperatures over 80 degrees, but now I can tolerate Texas summer midday heat and sun.
Soon I no longer needed my cane to walk, and over the following weeks I was able to reduce and then stop my pain medications. Just a short time earlier, I had thought I would never again walk without pain.
The diet is easy to follow; the food we eat is comparable in quality and taste to what I have eaten in 5-star restaurants. There is so much variety. I am never hungry.
I have learned how to make fermented vegetables and eat them regularly. I am enjoying the outdoors again. I enjoy working in our organic garden and caring for our chickens. I have been allergic to chickens and eggs for years, but now I am showing less sensitivity to eggs.
My excitement increased when three more beta candidates joined our program 30 days ago. I had already seen so much personal improvement I was able to share with them. I would do nightly checks to see if they had on their amber lights and or glasses if they were watching TV. This allowed me to share my excitement about the program and PHD.
We fixed and ate our meals with each other. We did our supplements for the week together. We developed recipes of our own, and kidded each other about foods we were learning to like that we had previously thought we could never eat. We developed a family atmosphere during our video conferences and classes with Dr. Jaminet, as we all sat in a big living room with a big screen TV and it was like family night at home.
Just 3 months ago, I didn’t think I would live many years more. After my last physical, my doctor told me, “You need to quit worrying about your father-in-law and your sister making it to next Christmas, if you have another 2-3 years like the last ones they will need to worry about you.”
Now I know I can look forward to many more years of a healthy and happy life with my children and grandchildren. My son, who is overseas, can’t say enough about how great I sound on the phone. He is now reading Perfect Health Diet because of my “just short of miraculous results.”
Many thanks to my friend Damon for inviting me to the program, to Dr. Paul Jaminet and his wife Shou-Ching Jaminet for writing Perfect Health Diet, and to the Perfect Health Retreat at Albert Oaks Austin. I have a new lease on life, thanks to you all.
Jorjan gave us an update months later, sharing some pictures. She had lost a few more pounds — she was 132 pounds when she adopted PHD on April 1, was 122 pounds when she wrote her first testimonial, and in these pictures weighed in at 118 pounds. She told us that her muscle definition is now better than when she was in high school:
Laura came on the Perfect Health Retreat with the support of her generous boss, who paid her retreat fee and allowed her to telecommute to work during the retreat. Laura’s goal was weight loss:
I wanted to keep my active, adventurous lifestyle but due to my weight it was just getting harder and harder to get out there fishing and camping with my loved ones.
At the Retreat I set the goal of losing 30 lbs. Although I only lost 16 lbs during my time at the Retreat, the change in my body was absolutely noticeable.
The yoga program at Albert Oaks has been very beneficial. I haven’t been able to sit cross-legged in more than a decade but now I can! I’ve never done yoga in my entire life but I bought a two Yoga DVDs and a mat and will continue to when I get home!
As far as the overall health benefits are concerned; I slept better and just seemed to move differently than I did before.
I’m very satisfied in learning how to implement fitness as part of the Perfect Health Diet. The Perfect Health Retreat helped me find MY WAY to weight loss and perfect health while teaching me how to carry over what I had learned into everyday life.
Sixteen pounds is quite an impressive weight loss for a 30 day stay. I spoke with Laura a few months later and she had lost seven more pounds at home.
Jim lost 24 pounds in 30 days. He also increased his energy levels, lowered his cholesterol, and normalized his fasting blood glucose levels.
Before coming on the retreat, Jim had been planning to get gastric bypass surgery. He was pleased to find he could lose weight effectively through natural means, and will not need surgery.
Darlene is very slender and did not come to the Retreat for weight loss; she actually gained muscle and a few pounds at the Retreat, and looked terrific when I saw her. But let me share her story.
Darlene had already been eating PHD for over a year as part of her effort to defeat chronic infections. She has had success using the combination antibiotic protocol described at http://cpnhelp.org, and found that the antibiotics and PHD made a very powerful combination. Her most prominent symptoms have been receding for the last year and some disappeared during her time at the retreat. Thanks to her improvement, when I spoke to her as the retreat concluded she was planning to stop some of her antibiotics.
Here is how she described her experience:
I came to the Retreat because I wanted to really learn the Perfect Health Diet from a scientific standpoint. The access I got to Paul Jaminet was a great asset in gaining this expertise and achieving my goals. Daily discussions were perfect for reviewing previous material and getting to ask Paul questions directly. One problem I had before coming to the Perfect Health Retreat was trouble sleeping. I would wake up at 4AM but then go back to sleep at 7AM. I wanted to explore and learn more about circadian rhythms and that’s a big part of the environment that the Perfect Health Retreat strives to create. Things like bright daytime lighting, red-yellow lighting and anti-blue light glasses at night, temperature control, and meal timing helped me reset my sleep and also taught me how to set up my home environment to maintain improved rhythms. I also liked the onsite Primal 7 workout equipment. It was useful in targeting muscle groups that I have had trouble working out before. The food was exceptional and tasty but possibly the best part of staying at the Perfect Health Retreat was the wonderful people. It really is a community of like-minded individuals who want to see you reach your goals and accomplish all you can.
My name is Ruth Slattery. I am a sixty year old wife and mother of five sons all born at home.
I have always believed in a natural, whole foods approach to life. Having a degree in anthropology from the University of Texas at Austin made understanding and accepting the philosophy and science of the Perfect Health Diet by Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet logical and easy.
At Albert Oaks one learns the importance of proper light exposure, sleep, exercise and nutrition in acquiring and maintaining good health. Teleconferencing with Dr. Jaminet on a regular basis is very helpful in clearing up any questions and really understanding the total concept of the PHD.
I was diagnosed with lupus nine years ago and am affected with chronic muscle and joint pain and chronic fatigue. For the past year and a half, I have been participating in a lupus clinical trial with no obvious improvement.
Since following the PHD lifestyle suggestions, my joint pain, fatigue and range of motion have definitely improved and I have lost four pounds and an inch around the waist! I would recommend this lifestyle philosophy for everyone-no matter what or if there is a health or weight issue involved.
I had been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a little over a year before beginning the Perfect Health Diet, though my glucose had been high for some time before. I did not achieve any level of blood glucose control during that time. Meanwhile, neuropathy in my feet was steadily getting worse.
Following the program at the Retreat was easier than anticipated. Although I was working full-time, I was easily able to adapt the concepts of intermittent fasting to my needs. The satisfying meals and daily exercise became second nature, and the comfort of the facility and the attentiveness of the staff made it a pleasure just to be there.
The results of my month at Albert Oaks were startling. The eight-pound weight loss was welcome, though not extraordinary in itself. The four inch reduction in my waist line was very welcome. More importantly, my glucose levels plummeted into the normal range, for the first time in over a decade. Though I am still taking my medication for now, it is not unreasonable to think I may be able to revisit that issue with my physician in the near future.
Now back at home, I am excited about finding new ways to employ the principles of the Perfect Health Diet. I was at a family dinner at a restaurant this week, and it was simple to make good choices. I am eager to explore this new, healthy direction in my life.
Charles’s fasting blood glucose dropped from 160 to 95 mg/dl – severely diabetic to normal – in about a month.
At the end of the 30 day Retreat, I have seen an increase of energy, weight loss and reduced waist size, and decrease of pain medication.
At the beginning of the plan, my energy level was so low that I required naps several times a day. I still do not fully understand the science of PHD but the results are amazing. By eating a balanced diet and having exercise planned around my physical disabilities (my knees need replacing, they currently are bone to bone), I am able to move around more and I have more energy.
I went from taking 6 pain pills a day at the beginning, to taking 2-3 a day towards the end of the month. Exercise and diet for the thirty days left me 6 pounds lighter and two inches smaller around the waist. The group setting was very helpful because we developed personal friendships. We were there for each other when a shoulder was needed.